Tuesday, August 31, 2010

step up in style

When Katie O'Neil, president of KT Steppers, began customizing the perfect place for your little to step up in the world -- we don't think she realized what a business it would become. So, we sat down with her and got all the details behind KT Steppers.

What influenced KT Steppers?  
I began Kt Steppers 2years ago. Friends and family  were all having babies at the same time, so,  baby shower, birth, and Baptism gifts were in high demand and unique and personal ones especially. I had received a step stool from my sister in law and that ‘lightbulb’ went off.

I had been looking for a product or idea to create and build a company around and just having my second son and with a toddler, I realized so many functions for a simple, yet practical product for all households with kids. This was my ‘must-have’ product. Plus making it personalized and custom makes our steppers so much more than just a step stool.

My sister in law needed gift for her best friend, so I offered up a Kt Stepper and they were a hit from then on.



When you began your company did you ever realize the celebrity praise and love you would get?  
Not at all. It really never entered my mind until a year or so ago and was figuring out how to promote and market outside of my east coast network on a small budget.  So, reached out to some celeb mom icons to promote too and so far we have been well received and loved.  It has been a great honor and promotion for us.

What has been the hardest part of running your own business or so to say, your biggest challenge?  
My biggest challenge right now is figuring out how to ‘give up’ some responsibilities.  As an owner and proud ‘Master of Multitasking’ I need to really delegate and look for economical and useful ways to pass on some ‘jobs’.   It’s probably the hardest thing I am facing now, because this is my third baby and I do EVERYthing myself…. I know it’s more of a control thing, but I have realized if I want to continue on with the success path, I am going to need help and trust others I bring on with me.

Do you find it hard to balance your work and family being a WAHM?  
Of course.  I’m still trying to find that balance.  Moms struggle with the desire to be a ‘stay at home mom’ or hold a successful career and whichever path they choose, there is always some ‘mom guilt’.  The hardest job I’ve ever had is being a mom and my most favorite. My first priority will always be my family. 

What advice can you give to other MOMpreneurs? 
Believe in yourself and your product.

Is there a motto or mantra you live by?
I have two: "It's impossible to fail, as long as you never quit" and Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.




When Katie sent us one of her uber-cute step stools we immediately realized why it was such a unique & special item to have in your home. KT Steppers also makes the perfect baby shower or birthday gift -- even Christmas too. These days it is hard to find that special something for little ones and this fills that void - it is special, thoughtful and best of all customized! What little doesn't love seeing their name as they step-up to brush their teeth or help you cook. It is the perfect little stepper (not to mention just the right size!) & everyone should get one or give one! 






Make sure you check out the newest stepper ($59) -- the Kidskreate line is perfect for kids to be "kreative" and design their own stepper for any room in the house. Write & erase!


{connect} with all things Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails